Monday 2 August 2010

Herentals Post Tour Crit


Post tour crits are now in full swing in Belgium, a chance for fans to get up close and personal with the big names from the tour as they race around the town centre accompanied by much beer, frites and mayonnaise. I don’t think it’s any secret that the professional races are fixed with the local hero and biggest names ending up on the podium. Last Thursday it was the turn for Cancellara, Basso, Charteau and Van den Broeck to name a few to spin round Herentals in the crit most local to where I’ve been staying Belgium.

The crit was always going to be a great evening but the prospect turned into a much different one for me when two days beforehand Stefan Wyman from Horizon Fitness arranged for me to race in the elite women’s crit that took place just before the professional men. Hannah Rich (Horizon Fitness) was unfortunately not able to race and he kindly spoke with the organiser to allow me to take her place. As an invitation only event it was inevitably going to be tough. Add to this that it would be only my third ever crit race and the line up included the 2010 Belgian National Champion, Sanne Cant and Jolien D’hoore the 2008 Junior World Champion it made it even more daunting for me a club rider!

The circuit was a 2km loop round the centre of Herentals with a significant cobbled section through the finish line. I was warned beforehand that the cobbles would become very treacherous if it rained, in fact the advice went – if it rains attack! With no rain falling though the roads were lined with spectators and the atmosphere was fantastic. I knew even lining up for the start that it was going to be an amazing experience when one of the riders was approached for autographs as we waited for the gun.

And so the gun went, or rather the Commissaire said something in Flemish I didn’t understand so took my cue from the other girls and pegged it round and out of the first corner. From the outset the pace was high and a group of four almost immediately got away. I was positioned about two-thirds of the way back in our bunch of 27 and we were stretched out in a single pace line as the group tried to reel the break back in. My focus was fixed on the wheel in front, never daring to let it wander and leave a gap. Pretty soon the inevitable happened and girls in front of me began dropping wheels so I was forced to work extra hard to get round them as there was no way I wanted to find myself off the pace.

As we turned a corner on lap 3 I was relieved to see just up ahead the break had been caught and the group had begun bunching up again as the pace dropped. I initially felt like the breather was well received but a little voice in my head told me no, you don’t want to be hanging around chasing other people’s dropped wheels all evening, so do something different. Immediately I found a gap between riders and rode hard, sprinting out of the next bend. I looked back after a few hundred metres and couldn’t see anyone behind me, I couldn’t believe it! For the next lap I rode around by myself with spectators cheering me on which was brilliant. I could also hear my name being called over the speaker system which was set up around the course – a really great motivator!


As I approached the cobbled part for the second time on my own I looked over my shoulder and was gutted to see a rider in the distance behind me. I just hoped that it was only one or two and not the whole bunch. As they drew nearer I prepared myself to jump on and not get left behind. When they did go past there was only four, I knew this could be a decisive break with both Jolien and Sanne in the group. We were quickly joined by Martine Bras (Gauzz RDZ) which made six in total including Horizon Fitness’ Alex Greenfield and Lieve Koninkx (Benelux Team).

The group worked really well together and eventually built up a 1 minute and 46 second gap over the bunch. I was even really enjoying racing over the cobblestones, I’m definitely learning more and more about racing over them. As time went on and it was looking likely we were going to stay away I was planning my move for the finish line. With a group of great sprinters I needed something special and I was practising my line going round the last corner into the finishing straight so I could get it right and be where I wanted on the bell lap. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen quite as I wanted and I ended up on the left hand side round the left bend and was cut up by two riders on my right. I jumped onto the wheel but just wasn’t quick enough and found myself with one other girl a wheel or so back. I desperately tried to get back on to the group but couldn’t make the space. The other girl came round me giving me a bit of a draft so after a few more pedal strokes I stood up to sprint round her over the finish line coming in 5th place.

The event really was a fantastic experience and I came off the course with a big smile on my face. I am really grateful for Stefan getting me a spot on what was a great evening for Horizon Fitness with Alex coming in 3rd. Even handing my numbers back in afterwards was interesting, finding Cancellara inside fresh from signing on at the very same desk.

A few more photos of the race can be found here
http://www.cyclingnews.nu/Dames%202010/Herentals29-07-2010.htm#Donderdag

No comments:

Post a Comment